If I want to make a meal that everyone in the family willingly eats then I make this.
If I want to make a meal that is cooked and ready in 30 minutes then I make this.
If I want to eat a meal that tastes like comfort food but really is a pretty healthy option, then I make this.
My pictures don't really do the dish justice. The top was almost perfectly golden but I wanted to give it one more minute to ensure maximum golden cheesy bubbliness. But then I got distracted with 'Mum' calls and I let it go just a little too far into 'browned' territory!
With it's layers of meat and tortillas and cheese I like to think of it as a Mexican Lasagna. Do take the time to let it sit for 10 minutes out of the oven as it helps to keep the layers in tact when you cut it.
You could obviously use tortillas instead of wraps, or beef mince instead of chicken. I've also added lentils and/or mushrooms to the mince mixture.
You could use sour cream instead of the Greek yoghurt, but give the yoghurt a try. I use Chobani 2% plain Greek Yoghurt and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works at creating the creamy cheesy top layer.
Spicy Mexican Chicken Tortilla Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika (I tend to use 1 tsp smoked, 1 tsp ground)
- 1 tsp ground chilli more if you like it hot!)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500g chicken mince
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g tin corn kernels, drained
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 400g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 5 wholegrain wraps
- 1 cup pizza blend cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- To serve, salad greens
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat, Saute onion and garlic until soft. Add paprika, chilli and cumin. Cook, stirring, for one minute or until aromatic. Add chicken mince and cook until golden. Add tomato, tomato paste, corn and kidney beans. Simmer for a few minutes or until slightly thickened. Add zucchini and half of the capsicum. Cook stirring occasionally for a few minutes until tender. Cool for 5 minutes.
- To assemble:
- Spray a 20cm spring form pan with cooking spray and place on a baking tray. Place on wrap in the prepared pan. Top with 1/4 of chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Repeat steps finishing with wrap on top.
- Spread Greek yoghurt over the top of the wrap and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes.
- Combine the remaining capsicum, avocado and tomato. Toss to combine and serve with tortilla pie and salad greens.
What's your current go-to, please everyone dinner of choice?
Linking up with Fabulous Foodie Fridays