How stunning is the colour of this purple asparagus? I've gotta admit, I didn't even know purple asparagus existed until I saw it at the shop but how could I resist buying a bunch when it looks like this?
I was inspired by the asparagus and this Cajun Rice made by The Spice Trails to make a warm rice salad. I had cooked brown rice and smoked salmon in the fridge, which I thought combined with the asparagus, would make an excellent base for a warm salad.
I'd recommend keeping some cooked grains in the freezer to make salads like this super easy and quick to pull together. I cook up large batches of brown rice or quinoa and freeze them in 1 cup quantities in individual ziplock bags.
I added some mushroom and spinach for some extra veggie goodness and I used feta and it's oil to add a creaminess to the dish.
And voila, here is my Salmon and Purple Asparagus Warm Rice Salad.
Salmon and purple asparagus rice salad
A fresh & colourful rice salad.
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (from 1 cup uncooked rice)
- 1 bunch purple asparagus, chopped into 2cm sections
- 5 mushrooms, diced
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 2 tbsp marinated feta, diced
- 50g smoked salmon or trout, flaked
- Lemon juice and feta oil for dressing
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil and butter. Add mushrooms and asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked rice and stir until rice is coated.
- Add spinach and allow to wilt. Season to taste.
- Place salad in bowl and top with smoked salmon and feta. Dress with lemon juice and feta oil.