These may just be my perfect healthy treat. Smooth dark chocolate, a hint of coconut oil and a sweet burst of blueberry freshness all combined into one blissful bite. At the moment, these little chocolate bombs are my favourite after-dinner snack.
Three things inspired these little treats. I've been looking for ways to use more of the chocolate and coconut oil combination since using it in my cherry ripe ice-cream tarts. I was inspired by Celia's chocolate platter to actually use the chocolate mould I've had sitting in the cupboard for a while. And I'm snacking on a lot of frozen blueberries at the moment. I realised I could combine them all, so I did, and they are awesome!
I love the taste and texture you get when you melt dark chocolate with a little coconut oil and let it set. Adding the coconut oil also adds some healthy fat to the snack. They take five minutes to make and five minutes to set - so you're happily snacking in 10 minutes flat!
Simply melt some chocolate and coconut oil, spoon a little into the bottom of each mould, pop one or two blueberries in each mould and finish by filling the moulds with the remaining chocolate.
I used a silicon chocolate mould and it worked a treat - they look kind of pro if you ask me. They are a bit uneven on the bottom as I wasn't concerned if the blueberry sat above the top of the mould. But if you want your chocolates to have a flat bottom just cut your blueberries up to make sure they are small enough to sit below the top of the mould.
I used frozen blueberries. I prefer them to fresh blueberries as they defrost inside the chocolate which means you get a little burst of blueberry juice when you bite into the chocolate.
Chocolate Covered Blueberries
Yield: 15 small chocolates
- 100g dark chocolate (70%)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, I use frozen)
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a glass jug to melt in the microwave.
- Stir chocolate mixture every 30 seconds until it is three-quarters melted. Remove chocolate from the microwave and stir until it is completely melted and smooth.
- Add a small amount of chocolate into the bottom of each mould.
- Place 1-2 blueberries in each mould.
- Fill each mould with remaining chocolate.
- Place in fridge for 10-15 minutes until set.
What is your favourite healthy after dinner treat?
Linking up with Fabulous Foodie Fridays - check it out and join in the fun!